Saturday, April 8, 2017

Spruce Flats Falls - Great Smoky Mountains National Park


I made the short hike to Spruce Flats Falls in Great Smoky Mountains National Park again in March 2017. Even though it was a weekday, I had to park across the river in the overflow gravel lot as all the paved parking spots were in use. I found a lot of people on the trail, some couples, some families on spring break, and a few school field trips. I've never seen so many people on this trail. It isn't the hidden gem of the Smokies any more.

I've written about this hike five times before:


I often have the waterfall to myself and it is one of the most peaceful places in the park. Even though there were numerous people at the falls, they were all respectful of each other and seem to have had an enjoyable time. One group of students from Lenoir City, Tennessee had a couple of science lessons at the falls. It takes a special person to be a good middle school teacher and the two I met seem to be some of the best.

Middle Prong Little River from the Tremont bridge

Typical trail condition

Northern fence lizard (Sceloporus undulatus hyacinthinus)

View of Middle Prong from the trail

Spruce Flats Falls

Upper portion of the falls

Lower cascade

Last look before the next school group arrives

Entry to Great Smoky Mountains National Park is free.

The park website is https://www.nps.gov/grsm.

No comments:

Post a Comment